Effect of high volume enema in children with abdominal pain: Pediatric emergency department experience

Sancar S., Ture E., Zonuzi S. S.

ULUSAL TRAVMA VE ACIL CERRAHI DERGISI-TURKISH JOURNAL OF TRAUMA & EMERGENCY SURGERY, vol.29, no.3, pp.364-369, 2023 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier identifier identifier


BACKGROUND: Abdominal pain is one of the most common reasons for admission to the pediatric emergency clinic. The appropriate evaluation of clinical and laboratory clues to make the correct diagnosis is of great importance in terms of directing the treatment medically or surgically and preventing unnecessary investigations. The aim of our study was to evaluate the contribution of high-volume enema application among pediatric patients with abdominal pain in terms of clinical and radiological findings.METHODS: Among the pediatric patients who applied to the pediatric emergency clinic of our hospital between January 2020 and July 2021 with abdominal pain, those who had intense gas stool image on abdominal X-ray and abdominal distension on physical examination and who underwent high-volume enema treatment were included in the study. The physical examination and radiological findings of these patients were evaluated.RESULTS: During the study period, 7819 patients were admitted to the pediatric emergency outpatient clinic with abdominal pain. Classic enema was performed in 3817 of these patients who had a dense gaseous stool image and abdominal distention on abdominal X-ray graphy. Defecation occurred in 3498 (91.6%) of 3817 patients who underwent classical enema, and the complaints regressed after enema. High-volume enema was applied to 319 (8.4%) patients who did not find relief with classical enema. Complaints of 278 (87.1%) patients regressed after the high-volume enema. Control ultrasonography (US) was performed in the remaining 41 (12.9%) patients, 14 (34.1%) patients were diagnosed with appendicitis. US results of 27 (65.9%) patients who had repeated US were evaluated as normal.CONCLUSION: High volume enema treatment is an effective and safe method in children with abdominal pain who are unresponsive to classical enema application in the pediatric emergency department.