Coal potential of turkey: Coal and energy

Creative Commons License

Yilmaz A. O.

ENERGY EXPLORATION & EXPLOITATION, vol.24, no.6, pp.371-390, 2006 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 24 Issue: 6
  • Publication Date: 2006
  • Doi Number: 10.1260/014459806780796303
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus
  • Page Numbers: pp.371-390
  • Karadeniz Technical University Affiliated: Yes


Coal is one of the largest energy resources of Turkey. Turkey has hard coal reserve of 1.12 billion tons and lignite reserve of 8.05 billion toils. While it is the 9(th) country in the world in terms of lignite reserve, it is the 8(th) country in terms of production (Hard coal + lignite) and the 12(th) country in terms of total coal consumption. While its hard coal production meets only 13% of its consumption, it meets its total lignite consumption. 65% of hard coal production and 78% of lignite production are used for electricity production. Turkey's Total installed capacity is 65587 MW by 2003 and 6774 (19%) of this installed capacity is met by the coal plants. In 2003, the total amount of produced electricity was 140 billion kWh and 19% of this amount was obtained from the coal plants. Turkey has recently concentrated on natural gas for production of electricity. While the share of coal in production of electricity reached 50% in 1986, today natural gas has taken the place of coal. In other words, while Turkey was dependent oil foreign countries for fulfilling 21% of its electricity production in 1986, it has become dependent on foreign countries for fulfilling 56% of its electricity production in 2003. Turkey can produce electricity using renewable energy resources, especially coal.