Fossil fuel potential of Turkey: A statistical evaluation of reserves, production, and consumption

KORKMAZ S., Kara-Gulbay R., Turan M.

ENERGY SOURCES PART B-ECONOMICS PLANNING AND POLICY, vol.3, no.3, pp.296-304, 2008 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 3 Issue: 3
  • Publication Date: 2008
  • Doi Number: 10.1080/15567240601057537
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus
  • Page Numbers: pp.296-304
  • Keywords: fossil fuels, energy supply and demand, reserves, Turkey
  • Karadeniz Technical University Affiliated: Yes


Since Turkey is a developing country with tremendous economic growth, its energy demand is also getting increased. Of this energy, about 70% is supplied from fossil fuels and the remaining 30% is from renewable sources. Among the fossil fuels, 90% of oil, natural gas, and coal are imported, and only 10% is from domestic sources. All the lignite is supplied from domestic sources. The total share of renewable sources and lignite in the total energy production is 45%. In order for Turkey to have sufficient and reliable energy sources, first the renewable energy sources must be developed, and energy production from fossil fuels, except for lignite, must be minimized. Particularly, scarcity of fossil fuels and increasing oil prices have a strong effect on economic growth of the country.