Investigation of climate change impacts on daily streamflow extremes in Eastern Black Sea Basin, Turkey


Babacan H. T., YÜKSEK Ö.

Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, vol.134, 2024 (SCI-Expanded) identifier identifier

  • Publication Type: Article / Article
  • Volume: 134
  • Publication Date: 2024
  • Doi Number: 10.1016/j.pce.2024.103599
  • Journal Name: Physics and Chemistry of the Earth
  • Journal Indexes: Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), Scopus, Academic Search Premier, Aerospace Database, Aquatic Science & Fisheries Abstracts (ASFA), Artic & Antarctic Regions, Chimica, Communication Abstracts, Compendex, Geobase, INSPEC, Metadex, Pollution Abstracts, Civil Engineering Abstracts
  • Keywords: Climate change, Daily streamflow extremes, Streamflow forecasting, Water resources pre-planning
  • Karadeniz Technical University Affiliated: Yes

Abstract

This study was undertaken to evaluate how future uncertain climate-related hydrological responses and low and highflow frequencies affect local hydrology up to the 2100, depending on different Global Circulation Models (GCM) and different Concentration Scenarios (CS). To this end, daily total precipitation and daily mean temperature data were used for RCP4.5 and RCP8.5 CSs by employing GCMs (GFDL-ESM2M, HadGEM2-ES and MPI-ESM-MR). In the study, the years 1971–2000 were chosen as the baseline period. Future streamflow predictions were modeled by machine learning. The models were calibrated with baseline period data and future streamflow values were predicted by using the best Streamflow Prediction Model during the 2055s (2041–2070) and 2085s (2071–2100) periods. Flow Duration Curves from the streamflow predictions were obtained and by using them, discharges corresponding to 95% probability of exceedance for lowflow and 5% probability of exceedance for highflow were calculated. According to the findings, it is predicted that there will be decrease of approximately 21% in lowflow discharges and approximately 30% in highflow discharges. This prediction has suggested water resources managers to implement mitigation measures to climate change in Eastern Black Sea Basin and most probably in Türkiye, especially in the context of continuity of aquatic life and sustainable water supply. It is expected that the paper will take a very important place in estimating and evaluating the expected changes in basin hydrology in the coming years, especially in the highflows and lowflows, which are the key concepts in hydroelectric power generation and in flood management.